A unique item is an item with a specific name, unique artwork, and a predetermined list of modifiers. Unique items usually have the same implicit modifier as a normal item of the same type.
Unique items are meant to be less powerful overall than high-level rare items, but offer unique gameplay and allow special character builds to be based around them.
Currently there are 1,077 released unique items, including maps and items with modifier variants. For a timeline when each unique item was added, see the timeline of unique items.
Unique item types
Obtaining unique items
The following is a non-exhaustive list of ways that unique items can be obtained. Unique items can always be traded.
- World drops: Unique items, like items of any other rarity, can randomly drop from slain monsters and loot containers. A unique item's drop level may differ from that of its base item. The actual drop levels of unique items are not known; however, there are examples of unique items that are known to only drop from very high level content, such as maps. Each unique item also has its own drop rate. These rates are not publicized by Grinding Gear Games, but certain unique items are clearly much more common than others.
- Optional content: Optional game content is a prevalent source of unique items. Random unique item drops are often given to the player as reward for engaging with certain optional game content such as Heist, the Immortal Syndicate and the Lord's Labyrinth just to name a few. They are sometimes indicated by a icon. Additionally, a number of drop-restricted unique items can only be acquired from optional game content and bosses.
- Orb of Chance: Using an Orb of ChanceOrb of ChanceStack Size: 20Upgrades a normal item to a random rarityRight click this item then left click a normal item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack. on a normal item will very rarely upgrade it to a unique item of the same base type. For example, it is possible for a normal Gold RingGold RingRequires Level 20(6-15)% increased Rarity of Items found to be upgraded to AndvariusAndvarius
Gold RingRequires Level 20(6-15)% increased Rarity of Items found+10 to Dexterity
(50-70)% increased Rarity of Items found
-20% to all Elemental ResistancesDanger is the price of wealth. by using an Orb of Chance on it. Similarly, a Tainted Mythic OrbTainted Mythic OrbStack Size: 20Unpredictably either upgrades a corrupted item to unique rarity or destroys itRight click this item then left click a corrupted item to apply it. Cannot apply to Maps.
Shift click to unstack. can also transform a corrupted item into a unique item with a risk of destroying it. These methods cannot be used to obtain drop-restricted unique items.
- Vaal Orb: Certain jewels and equipment can only be created through one possible outcome of using a Vaal OrbVaal OrbStack Size: 20Corrupts an item, modifying it unpredictablyRight click this item then left click an item to corrupt it. Corrupted items cannot be modified again.
Shift click to unstack. on an item. For example, using a Vaal Orb on Tear of PurityTear of Purity
Lapis AmuletRequires Level 5+(20-30) to IntelligenceGrants Level 10 Purity of Elements Skill
+(10-20) to all Attributes
+(20-40) to maximum Life
+(5-10)% to all Elemental ResistancesA shimmering symbol of Purity, clear as water,
but I know better than most how quickly
Purity can succumb to Corruption.
How quickly water turns to blood.
- Victario, the People's Poet may result in it transforming into Blood of CorruptionBlood of Corruption
Amber AmuletRequires Level 5+(20-30) to StrengthGrants Level 10 Gluttony of Elements Skill
Adds 19 to 43 Chaos Damage to Attacks
-(10-5)% to all Elemental Resistances
+(17-29)% to Chaos ResistanceCorruptedIn my dream, a voice spoke to me. It said:
'My reach knows no bounds.
All that is pure is destined to rot.
All that lives is destined to serve.'
- Doryani, Queen's Thaumaturgist.
- Upgrading: Some unique items can be upgraded to a superior version. See blessed items and vials for more information.
- Transforming: Ancient OrbAncient OrbStack Size: 20Reforges a unique equipment as another of the same item classRight click this item then left click a unique item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack. and the Altar of Sacrifice in the Temple of Atzoatl can transform a unique item into another unique item. This cannot be used to obtain drop-restricted items.
- Vendor recipes: Certain unique items can be created using vendor recipes. For most them, the vendor recipe is the only way to obtain it.
- Divination cards: Sets of many divination cards can be turned in for unique items. Some like Thunderous SkiesThunderous Skies5Storm CloudMany that have wielded the power of lightning have said that death by electrocution looks like the victim is more alive than ever before. return specific unique items, whereas others like Jack in the BoxJack in the Box4ItemTurn the crank,
close your eyes,
and pray to the gods
for a pleasant surprise. return random ones. A few unique items like Maw of MischiefMaw of Mischief
Bone HelmetArmour: (197-227)
Energy Shield: (40-46)Requires Level 73, 76 Str, 76 IntMinions deal (15-20)% increased DamageGrants Level 20 Death Wish Skill
+(45-65) to maximum Life
(30-20)% reduced Mana Cost of Minion Skills
Minions are AggressiveThe line that divides hope and fear,
life and death, crowd and mob,
is as thin as a whisper. can only be acquired from specific divination card sets.
- Event prizes: In the past, special unique items were given as prizes to players who placed in competitive events like races.
Like all items, unique items can have legacy variants. This means for some uniques there exist better (or worse) versions that aren't dropping anymore in Standard leagues. The main source of legacy items are nerfs that affect future item drops, but leave the already existing items as they were. The only way to get these legacy items is from players who had them before they were changed.
Rerolling the item's modifier values with a Divine OrbDivine OrbStack Size: 10Randomises the numeric values of the random modifiers on an itemRight click this item then left click a magic, rare or unique item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack. may change a mod's values to match the current version of the unique item, but not for all of them. It will not add or remove modifiers that have been adjusted since then as well.
- A unique item, easily spotted by its orange text and orange banner, as well as a distinct sound affect and animation upon monster drop is one that always spawns with the same mods (sometimes with different values) on the same base item with the same requirements.
- Mirrors of KalandraMirror of KalandraStack Size: 10Creates a mirrored copy of an itemRight click this item then left click an equipable non-unique item to apply it. Mirrored copies cannot be modified.
Shift click to unstack. and Orbs of ScouringOrb of ScouringStack Size: 30Removes all modifiers from an itemRight click this item then left click on a magic or rare item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack. cannot be used on unique items. The only way to downgrade a unique is to use a Vaal OrbVaal OrbStack Size: 20Corrupts an item, modifying it unpredictablyRight click this item then left click an item to corrupt it. Corrupted items cannot be modified again.
Shift click to unstack. on it, which can turn it into a corrupted rare item.
- Event prize unique items were given out during old race events to select top players and new copies cannot be obtained in-game by any other method.
- Unique items with alternate 2D artworks were given out as prizes for races.
- Foil uniques are variants with alternate "holographic" 2D artworks. They are obtained using a Reliquary Key, which very rarely drop in-game, some only for a limited time.
- It is possible to get an influenced version of a unique item (for unique items that do not normally drop influenced) by using an Orb of ChanceOrb of ChanceStack Size: 20Upgrades a normal item to a random rarityRight click this item then left click a normal item to apply it.
Shift click to unstack. on an influenced version of the base item.
- It is impossible to transform a non-unique fractured or synthesised item or an item with an Eldritch implicit modifier into a unique item.
- The item level of the unique affects how many sockets can appear on it. While the stats may be the same a unique with a high item level may have a higher selling price when trading with other players.
- There are different tiers of unique items. On drop, the rarity roll determines not only if the item will be unique but also from which tier. A random unique will then be pick from the determined tier's pool. When chancing, the probability of obtaining each tier is fixed. If there is no unique of the rolled tier or lower, a rare will be chanced instead.
- Timeline of unique items
- List of unique items with legacy variants
- List of unique items with custom effects
- List of unique talking items
- List of alternate art items
- Category:Unique items created by supporters
- Guide:Analysis of unique item tiers
- ↑ Chris (November 6, 2013). "Further Update to Map-only Uniques". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 9, 2013.
- ↑ Chris (August 9, 2012). "0.9.11g Patch Notes". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved November 8, 2021.
- ↑ On chancing and On dropping Path of Exile Forums