The ancient Azmerians constructed complex Trials, to test aspiring leaders; body, mind and soul. To select candidates for his Labyrinth, Emperor Izaro revived this tradition with his own sinister designs.
Description on the official Path of Exile website
The Trials of Ascendancy (also referred to as labyrinth trials or simply lab trials) are static puzzles distributed throughout the game's acts and maps, that test the player's mechanical ability to control their character movement. They were introduced to the game in the Ascendancy league and need to be completed to unlock or progress an ascendancy class - in this respect they are a league mechanic. Completing the trials of ascendancy unlocks the various tiers of The Lord's Labyrinth. They do not have to be completed in any particular order, however each labyrinth must be completed in increasing order of difficulty before being allowed to progress to the next. Eternal labyrinth trials can only be found in yellow maps (Tier 6+) of higher.
Each trial exhibits only one class of trap acting as a form of tutorial for the Labyrinth. Only when all trials are completed will the player be able to enter the Labyrinth of the associated difficulty. The trials also contain many doors and switches (levers) , and later trials also contain timed levers which will automatically toggle off unless a later un-timed lever is operated. In some cases, levers are placed to deliberately mislead the player. The eternal labyrinth trials are much longer than the earlier trials and feature stages of increasing complexity.
Progression through trials is shared between all of a player's characters on a per-league basis and are always found in the specified zones, but are randomly placed within.
Each of the trials associated with normal, cruel, and merciless difficulties (deprecated); begin at a door labelled "Trial of Ascendancy" and end at a plaque labelled "Trial of Ascendancy Plaque" that when clicked, spawn a return portal to the door at the entrance. A bronze monograph is present at the entrance to each of these early trials and show on the minimap as whereas the later maps are shown on the minimap as a .
Trial plaques in eternal labyrinth trials drop an Offering to the GoddessIt is time for the Goddess to give her final verdict.
Your fate rests in her even hands.Travel to the Aspirants' Plaza and spend this item to open the Eternal Labyrinth. when clicked (or an Improved Offering to the Goddess if in an Improved Labyrinth Trial), regardless of whether the specific trial has been completed previously.
List of trials of ascendancy
|1. The (normal) Labyrinth
- The Lower Prison, Act 1, contains spike traps
- The Crypt Level 1, Act 2, contains spinning blades
- The Chamber of Sins Level 2, Act 2, contains sawblades
- The Crematorium, Act 3, contains furnace traps
- The Catacombs, Act 3, contains blade sentries
- The Imperial Gardens, Act 3, contains dart traps
|2. The Cruel Labyrinth
|3. The Merciless Labyrinth
|4. The Eternal Labyrinth
Note that Uber Lab no longer requires completion of the (Uber) Trials of Ascendancy. The trials are now served as a source of Offering to the GoddessIt is time for the Goddess to give her final verdict.
Your fate rests in her even hands.Travel to the Aspirants' Plaza and spend this item to open the Eternal Labyrinth.
Related Atlas passive skills
|Labyrinth Trial Chance
|Your Maps have +2% chance to contain a Trial of Ascendancy   
|Trial of Glory
|Your Maps have +4% chance to contain a Trial of Ascendancy
Labyrinth Trials in your Maps have 20% chance to award an Improved Offering to the Goddess 
- Trial of Ascendancy Portals now detail what kind of Offering they contain when you encounter them in Maps.
- Accessing the Eternal Labyrinth no longer requires the completion of Trials of Ascendancy found in Maps, only the completion of previous Labyrinths. It still costs one Offering to the GoddessIt is time for the Goddess to give her final verdict.
Your fate rests in her even hands.Travel to the Aspirants' Plaza and spend this item to open the Eternal Labyrinth. to access.
- Trials of Ascendancy can no longer spawn in White Maps, and the ability to consume an Offering to the Goddess in the Map Device to open portals to a random Trial of Ascendancy has been removed.
- Consuming an Offering to the GoddessIt is time for the Goddess to give her final verdict.
Your fate rests in her even hands.Travel to the Aspirants' Plaza and spend this item to open the Eternal Labyrinth. in the Map Device opens portals to a random Trial of Ascendancy for the Eternal Labyrinth. Trials opened in this way will not award an Offering to the Goddess upon completion.
- Access to The Lord's Labyrinth has been reworked. Once unlocked, each Labyrinth can be accessed from the Aspirants' Plaza. Each of the four Labyrinths are named after the old difficulties: The Normal Labyrinth, the Cruel Labyrinth, the Merciless Labyrinth and the Endgame Labyrinth. The Cruel and Merciless Labyrinths now each require the completion of three trials, as well as the earlier Labyrinths. Access to the Endgame Labyrinth now requires completion of the three earlier Labyrinths.
- To access the Cruel Labyrinth, you must complete the Normal Labyrinth and 3 prerequisite trials, and be at least level 40.
- To access the Merciless Labyrinth, you must complete the Cruel Labyrinth and another 3 prerequisite trials, and be at least level 50.
- Access to the Endgame Labyrinth requires that you complete the Merciless Labyrinth and the 6 Map trials, and be at least level 60.
- All Labyrinths are now accessed via the Aspirants' Plaza. A new user interface allows you to select which Labyrinth you wish to enter. This UI shows which trials you have and have not completed.
- Return portal locations were moved away from the plaque area to help avoid clicking them when trying to pick up offerings. [Undocumented This change was not documented by any official sources. It was discovered through player testing or datamining.]
- There are six new Trials of Ascendancy that can be found in non-unique maps. These trials are more complex and random than the ones in the regular game. Completing a Trial rewards you with an Offering to the GoddessIt is time for the Goddess to give her final verdict.
Your fate rests in her even hands.Travel to the Aspirants' Plaza and spend this item to open the Eternal Labyrinth. item.
- Once you have completed all six Trials, you are able to use your Offering to the Goddess items in a Map Device to access the Endgame Labyrinth. These items are not technically maps, so you cannot use Sacrifice Fragments or Chisels on them.
- The Endgame Trials and Labyrinth include a new trap type - Sentinel Traps: These traps apply one of many effects to an area and can be temporarily deactivated by dealing damage to them.
- Progress through the Trials of Ascendancy is now shared between all your characters in the league.
- Fixing various placement issues related to Strongboxes, Perandus chests and Rogue Exiles, where they could spawn inside Trial of Ascendancy traps.