Leagues in Path of Exile represent the game worlds that characters exist within. A single character can only belong to one league at any time, and can't interact with characters outside that league.
- Standard is the default league and has no modifiers.
- Hardcore (HC) has the hardcore modifier, meaning characters who die are transferred to Standard. Hardcore is equivalent to permadeath in other RPGs, though characters and items are not automatically deleted. Non-HC leagues are referred to as Softcore or SC. Players can only migrate from HC to SC by dying.
- Solo Self-Found, also known as SSF, prevents players from joining a party or starting a trade with other players; players must rely solely on the items they find themselves. Non-SSF leagues are referred to as Trade. Players can migrate from SSF to Trade at any time on the character selection menu, with the option to migrate just a single character or all characters, stashes, and league progress.
- SSF Standard is the default league with the SSF flag
- SSF Hardcore has the hardcore and SSF flags
- Ruthless, also known as hard mode, opts the character into extreme item scarcity and various other changes that fundamentally change the experience of the game. Players cannot migrate out of Ruthless. HC Ruthless players are voided on death.
Temporary leagues have a set duration, which can vary from 12 minutes to four months. They are usually defined by specific modifiers or features that the permanent leagues don't have. When a league ends, the characters are not lost but transferred to one of the permanent leagues.
Periodically, two new leagues are created and the previous two challenge leagues are removed. These leagues are intended to introduce and test new content while providing players with a fresh economy. Challenge leagues are currently released on a 13 week cycle. In addition, each pair of leagues has a set of optional challenges that can be completed for a prize.
When a challenge league ends, all characters and their stash will be sent to their respective parent league (either Standard league or Hardcore League). Map progress will be transferred, along with Shaped maps and Sextants.
List of challenge leagues
The challenge league currently running is the Sanctum league.
|Expansion||Release date||End date||Release version|
|Sanctum league||2022-12-09 7:00:00 PM||2023-03-07 9:00:00 PM||3.20.0|
|Kalandra league||2022-08-19 8:00:00 PM||2022-12-06 8:00:00 PM||3.19.0|
|Sentinel league||2022-05-13 8:00:00 PM||2022-08-16 10:00:00 PM||3.18.0|
|Archnemesis league||2022-02-04 8:00:00 PM||2022-05-10 10:00:00 PM||3.17.0|
|Scourge league||2021-10-22 7:00:00 PM||2022-02-01 9:00:00 PM||3.16.0|
|Expedition league||2021-07-23 8:00:00 PM||2021-10-18 9:00:00 PM||3.15.0|
|Ultimatum league||2021-04-16 8:00:00 PM||2021-07-19 10:00:00 PM||3.14.0|
|Ritual league||2021-01-15 8:00:00 PM||2021-04-12 9:00:00 PM||3.13.0|
|Heist league||2020-09-18 8:00:00 PM||2021-01-11 9:00:00 PM||3.12.0|
|Harvest league||2020-06-19 8:00:00 PM||2020-09-14 10:00:00 PM||3.11.0|
|Metamorph league||2019-12-13 8:00:00 PM||2020-03-09 9:00:00 PM||3.9.0|
|Blight league||2019-09-06||2019-12-09 9:00:00 PM||3.8.0|
|Synthesis league||2019-03-08||2019-06-03 10:00:00 PM||3.6.0|
|Betrayal league||2018-12-07||2019-03-04 9:00:00 PM||3.5.0|
|Delve league||2018-08-31||2018-12-03 9:00:00 PM||3.4.0|
|Incursion league||2018-06-01||2018-08-27 10:00:00 PM||3.3.0|
|Bestiary league||2018-03-02 8:00:00 PM||2018-05-28 10:00:00 PM||3.2.0|
|Abyss league||2017-12-08 8:00:00 PM||2018-02-26 9:00:00 PM||3.1.0|
|Harbinger league||2017-08-04 8:00:00 PM||2017-12-04 9:00:00 PM||3.0.0|
|Legacy league||2017-03-03||2017-07-31 10:00:00 PM||2.6.0|
|Breach league||2016-12-02 8:00:00 PM||2017-02-27 9:00:00 PM||2.5.0|
Race leagues are temporary leagues created specifically for a single race event.
These leagues have their own stash. At the end of the event, characters and their stashed items will be moved to the parent league, typically Standard, Hardcore, or Void League. The player's race stash may be placed in remove-only stash tabs if the parent league has no empty tabs. A list of race modifiers can be found here.
Characters used in Hardcore versions of Ruthless mode or certain races (such as Endless Delve or Mayhem) are automatically transferred to a Void League upon death in a hardcore league, or at the end of the race's duration. Characters in Void Leagues cannot be accessed from the character selection screen, and can only be deleted or kept as a trophy. Their equipment and passive trees are still visible on a player's profile and can be imported to Path of Building.
Private leagues are purchasable, custom made leagues that allows adding additional modifiers that make Path of Exile more challenging.
Private leagues can be based around the permanent leagues or the current challenge league. Additional modifiers can be added to the league, such as increased monster stats, no flask refill at towns, or disabled vendors or stash. Additional league duration and player slots can be purchased with points, with the option to allow other players to contribute to the purchase.
- Chris (September 23, 2013). "What's happening when Anarchy/Onslaught leagues end?". Official Path of Exile Forums. Retrieved Oct 7, 2013.